Sunday, June 14, 2015

Julia Goes W!LD

Back for more? I hoped so. Y'all are in for a treat! I am spending this summer in Tupper Lake, NY in the high peaks region of the Adirondacks! I am lucky enough to be one of the many Summer Naturalist Interns at The Wild Center. 
(This is the part where I shamelessly advertise our new Wild Walk opening July 4th! You should all come visit. No excuses!) 
I've been here for a month already and I am loving every second!!

The last time I was in the Adirondacks was summer 2006 on a family camping trip. We stayed at Rollins Pond, climbed St. Regis, and yes. We visited the Wild Center! It had just opened in 2006 and has changed a lot since then. (All the more reason to visit!)

Li'l Julia
I have only climbed one mountain so far, Coney Mountain. I went with 3 of my 4 roommates and it took us a little over an hour round trip! I decided I will be taking summit selfies all summer even if it is goofy....

#basic #summitselfie
One of the many things I do at the Wild Center is lead Animal Encounter programs. I (or any naturalist) will take out one of our live animals for about a half hour and talk about how awesome that animal is!So far I have only worked with Lady Jay, our resident blue jay. I am doing my first snake program tomorrow with Gertrude the garter snake and I am hoping to get trained on small raptors soon so I can take out Luna, our eastern screech owl!

Lady Jay came to us because a family had found her when she was a baby. They tried to take care of her but only fed her bird seed so she didn't get enough protein and calcium as a baby. Her feathers were very wispy and not very blue. Now, we feed her a proper diet and she is super happy! She is fully flighted but cannot be released because she is imprinted on humans. Because of that, she is very social. We keep her in the hallway back of house so there are always staff walking by. Otherwise, she gets lonely!

Lady Jay
Stickley, the porcupine is another favorite of mine. She comes out a lot for school group programs. She is 8 years old and loves to eat dandelions!

Stickley being cute

The rest of these pictures are all various flora and fauna around the Wild Center. You will notice the lovely wild flowers and spiders. I am working on a top secret spider program to premiere July 4th on Wild Walk, so I have plenty of spider pictures! 

Tricolored bumble bee on Lupine

Goldenrod/ crab spider
 I think jumping spiders are adorable. If you don't believe me, google them. 

Jumping Spider

Shamrock spider
 That's all I have for now. I'll be sure to take more landscape pictures and not just the little stuff! Stay tuned for Wild Walk and Raquette River canoeing pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment